Modular homes are built indoors in a factory controlled environment. The home is built in components sometimes referred to as “boxes”. The components are trucked to the home site, lifted by crane onto a pre-built foundation and fastened together.
Modular homes today have evolved to become the construction method of choice for educated buyers. Modular homes are often built to higher standards, materials and quality than traditional site built homes.
Typical Modular Home Prices
- Modular Home construction prices are typically 5-25 percent less than traditional homes built on-site, although some savings can be up to 50 percent. Prices start around $50,000-$60,000 for an 800-900-square-foot home (1 or 2 bedrooms, 1 bath) but can go as high as $500,000-$1 million for large, customized, high-quality homes. And that’s without the land, foundation or other site work.
- A rough estimate for a 1,600-square-foot home. ($89,000 base price) with modular garage ($20,000) plus permits, utility connections, site prep, foundation, engineering and survey work is$167,500 total cost.
- An upscale 3,200-square-foot modular home delivered in eight pieces in Maryland had a base price of $300,000 but the extras, including a basement, septic fields, porches, a driveway, permits and other charges, bumped the total to about $560,000.
When researching modular home prices, it is best to understand the various ways the home may be priced out.
- Base Modular Home Price
- Base Modular Home Price plus Delivery and Taxes
- Base Modular Home Price plus Delivery, Taxes and Set
- Base Modular Home Price plus Delivery, Taxes, Set and Finish
Base Modular Home Price
This price is for the modular home and specifications that it may contain. The base home price of a modular home may vary depending on the builder. The average estimated price is $60 per sq/ft.
Base Modular Home Price plus Delivery, Taxes and Set
The average estimated price is $67 per sq/ft.
Base Modular Home Price plus Delivery, Taxes, Set and Finish
This price is or the modular home and specification that it may contain plus the delivery, set and finish work which may contain General Contracting (GC), Electricial, Plumbing, Interior, Exterior, flatwork finish work with foundation. Keep in mind that the foundation price may play a large factor in the final cost.
The average estimated price is $115 per sq/ft.
With modular construction, there are many factors that can effect pricing however what modularhomesreport.com highly recommends is selecting a company with an established presence. There are many fly-by-night companies operating selling homes that may be here today but gone tomorrow. It may be tempting to buy from a retired realtor who decided to take up selling homes from their garage office for a limited markup however modularhomesreport.com advises against this. It is recommended that you go with a solid company that offers confidence they will be around to support your home and most importantly not risk your up-front deposit to a risky operation.
Please check back as modularhomesreport.com will include prices for various homes.